There are 68 local councils in the country, including 54 in Malta and 14 in Gozo.
Malta is divided into six statistical regions: south port area of 26 square kilometers; north port area of 74 square kilometers; north port area of 24 square kilometers; southeast area of 50 square kilometers; west area of 73 square kilometers; Gozo komino area of 69 square kilometers.
Valletta, 0.8 km2, population 6794 (2016).
Valletta, 0.8km2, with a population of 6794 (2016),  is located on a long and narrow peninsula in the Gulf of Malta at the northeast end of Malta island. It is a famous European cultural city named after the sixth leader of the order of the Knights of Saint John, La Valletta. It is the national political, cultural and commercial center of Malta. It has many interesting nicknames, such as “the city of St. John’s knights”, “Baroque’s great masterpiece”, “the city of European art”, etc.
Malta’s largest natural good port, Dagang, is located between the capital Valletta and three ancient cities, namely bilgu, sengra and kospekwa. The port’s coastline is 15.56 km long, and 10000 ton cargo ships can enter the port to load and unload goods, with an annual throughput of 1.6 million tons. There are many deep-water wharves and facilities for loading, unloading, refueling and grain storage in the port.
It is located in the northeast of Malta Island, covering an area of 1.3 square kilometers. There is a seaside holiday village in the city, covering an area of 1.3 square kilometers. The highest altitude is 35 meters. The area has been inhabited by human since prehistoric times.
Three sister cities
Veloriosa, cospicua and senglea formed the three famous towns of Malta in the middle ages.
Veloriosa, formerly known as bilgu, is an ancient city in the east of Malta. It is located on the small peninsula south of Valletta and close to Dagang. It is the most famous of the three sister cities and the earliest habitat of the “St. John’s knights” in Malta. In 1565, he changed his name after winning the battle because he built a fort to resist the siege of the Turks. There are many Paladins in 870 A.D. and many ancient hotels in the 16th century.
Cospequa is the largest of the three cities. The early name was bormla, which was given the current name by the Knights of St. John because of the “heroic” behavior of the local people during the siege in 1565, which means “brave”. Today, along the city’s coastline are old shipyards. The city’s landmarks are the Margherita sea line that survived World War II and the immaculate concept parish church, which is rich in treasures.
Senglea is located in a narrow headland, facing the Grand Pier of upper Valletta. Its original name is l-isla, which means Peninsula in Maltese. During World War II, 75% of the buildings here were destroyed. Today, the most famous place in the city is the garden of gardjola, which is separated from the water of Valetta. There is a watchpost in the shape of a blockhouse in the garden, implying that it is guarding the safety of the port. You can find the famous “eye of Horus” at this sudden outpost.