Birth Injury Quick Facts:
- Approximately eight percent of all children are born with some form of birth defect or physical irregularity.
- Birth defects are the number one cause of death during the first year of life.
- Unborn children can be injured by the mother’s workplace exposure to toxic chemicals during pregnancy.
- There are over 4,000 known birth defects including those of the heart, digestive system, face, spine, limbs, brain, eyes, kidneys, bladder, and chromosomal irregularities.
- Birth defects are the leading cause of infant mortality in the United States , accounting for more than 20% of all infant deaths.
- Of about 120,000 U.S. babies born each year with a birth defect, 8,000 die during their first year of life.
- An American study has found that children born after fertility treatment are more likely to suffer a range of birth defects the New England Journal of Medicine a study reported that in the first three months of pregnancy tests performed could catch most cases of two particular birth defects, including Down syndrome and trisomy 18.
- Birth defects are the fifth-leading cause of years of potential life lost and contribute substantially to childhood morbidity and long-term disability.
- Over forty states allow children and their parents to bring a lawsuit for pre-natal injuries.
Medical malpractice is one of the most complicated areas of law. If you think medical negligence may have played a part in your child’s injury, you need an experienced birth injury lawyer who understands the complexities of birth injury cases. A birth injury lawyer can help you get the settlement you need to take care of your child’s enormous medical costs, help you deal with the emotional hardship a birth injury can cause, and help your family adapt to this lifestyle change
Over forty states allow children and their parents to bring a lawsuit for pre-natal injuries. When a baby is born with an injury, the family may be faced with a future that will involve complicated and prolonged care for that child. Complicating the situation is the fact that parents are often uneducated about the cause of their child’s condition.
Birth Injury Lawsuit
A birth injury lawsuit is filed when there is a strong case indicating malpractice was the cause of the birth injury has been found. While not all birth injuries will mean a birth injury lawsuit can be successful, lawyers specialized in the field will be able to recognize if there may be a claim. In the event that a birth injury lawsuit is present, the process to seek damages can begin. This process can be very lengthy and grueling, making it essential to find a birth injury lawsuit lawyer that is able to expedite the process in an efficient and successful manner.