CAN A DENTIST BE SUED?
Yes. A Dentist is a health care professional providing care for a patient, as does a physician. There is a duty imposed upon the Dentist to practice dentistry at the standard of care in his/her specialty. A breach of this duty that results in injury to the patient can result in a lawsuit against the dentist. This is generally referred to as “Dental malpractice”.
Types of Dental Injuries Include:
- Nerve injury to the jaw, lips, and tongue
- Anesthesia injury – this also includes anesthesia deaths
- Injury to the bones of the jaw
- Injury to the teeth or gums from a faulty crown or bridge
- TMJ resulting from orthodontic treatment
- Injuries or infection resulting from use of dental products